Friday, July 7, 2017

Civility War

Editor's note: Short entry this week because of the holiday week and other reasons. But I wanted to post a little bit to keep on regular posting schedule. 

Last week, I mentioned Sen. James Lankford's beautiful words on the call for more civility in politics. I thought it was striking and heartfelt. I came across his piece for The Atlantic on the issue, and Facebook gave me the following two comments on his article: "Fight terrorism: Ban the Democratic party!" and "Hollow words from a hollow politician." SIGH. Democrats are not terrorists, and it's repugnant to say so. Sen. Lankford is not a hollow politician — I have met many, and he is not one from what I've read.

Perhaps it's not the loss of civility and respect that have caused this rift in our politics. Perhaps it's something different. I think the issue is a loss of empathy. In politics, like any debate, it's important to empathize with those of a different viewpoint even if you don't agree with them. I'm not a West Virginia coal miner or a person of color from an inner-city neighborhood. But their struggles are equally important and each deserve empathy. It's easy to write off people you don't understand as being misguided or wrong or evil-intentioned or not knowing what's best for them. It's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes. But that's important and necessary to a functioning democracy, even if it's hard.

"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions." -- George W. Bush, 2016

Summary Judgments

This was a really inside journalism-type story, but I found this to be one of the better breakdowns of the CNN kerfuffle this week. I don't think they had any ill intent, but mistakes by upper-level (read: not the reporter) ended up making them the story rather than the story they were trying to tell. CNN has been losing my attention because they seem more interested in narrative telling (not on the scale of Fox News, mind you) than good reporting and journalism choice. I've been moving more toward the Washington Post and NBC News.  •  •  •  I ran the Four on the Fourth on Tuesday, and I did walk a little bit. The first time was at the end of a 1.5-mile slightly uphill section. The second time was up a steep hill about a half-block roughly 1/2 mile from the end. I think the second walk gave me enough energy to run the remainder of the race and have a bit of a kick at the finish. I finished in 44 minutes or so, but the time was not recorded by the timer -- BOO! Also, it was in the pouring rain, so that might have had an impact.  •  •  •  Evie has been really cuddly with me lately. Like, I'm the only one that can calm her down and she wants me to take her to day care, etc. I love it. Either she's got me wrapped around her finger, or she's just being sweet. Right now, I'm OK with either.

No comments:

Post a Comment